Birthdays are a very important time of the year for many and giving someone a birthstone gift is a beautiful way to give a very thoughtful gift. In fact, for some, it’s the most celebrated day of the year. How do you find the perfect birthday gift for those you love? A gift based on the recipient’s birthstone reflects forethought and will be even more cherished if it is hand-made. Simply giving them a loose gemstone in a box with a card explaining the characteristics of the gem is a wonderful present. But if you are looking for something a little bit more exotic here are some great ideas for the birthstone of every month of the year.
January: Garnet Birthstone
Garnet is said to be the stone mined from the rainbow. However, it is mostly an assortment of red crystals and is thought to represent peace, light heartedness and fidelity.
- A Bracelet with Garnet Beads: Garnet beads are perfect for a great statement bracelet. Add some black lava beads and a small bottle of the recipient’s favorite essential oil for a truly unique gift.
- Garnet Necktie for the Man in your Life: Don’t forget about your husband, father or son. They may not appreciate jewelry, but you can still incorporate the color garnet into a masculine present. Try giving a garnet-colored necktie or dress shirt this year for a birthstone-themed gift.
- Garnet Stone Necklace: For a woman, pick out a pretty heart-shaped garnet focal bead on a chain. For the man in your life, try a subtler garnet stone on a chain or leather rope or add a small beaded garnet to a tie chain.
SHOP FOR GARNETS
February: Amethyst Birthstone
Amethyst’s popularity as a gemstone dates back to ancient Greece. The purple color offers protection from inner confusion and wards off anxiety. It’s also a symbol of nobility and wealth.
- Amethyst Candle with Glass Lantern: The colored glass panes of an antique-style lantern will give off a lovely glow when the candle within is lit. The warm glow promotes inner peace and wards off anxiety.
- Handmade Gemstone Tree: An amethyst gemstone tree is the perfect, handmade gift for a loved one who loves crafts. It can be placed anywhere in the home or on the desk in their office to promote a sense of nobility.
SHOP FOR AMETHYST
March: Aquamarine Birthstone
Aquamarine is the calming color of the ocean and is regarded as the symbol of good fortune. The semi-precious stone also offers hope.
- An Aquamarine Pendant: Pendants represent a number of symbols and come in many shapes and sizes, so you should have no problem finding the perfect pendant shape or design for your gift. Consider a dragon pendant that symbolizes the bringer of good fortune in the Chinese culture.
SHOP FOR AQUAMARINE
April: Diamond Birthstone
Diamonds are the most highly regarded stone. Diamonds symbolize strength, endurance and high status.
- A Diamond Tiara: This one is for the birthday girl who loves fixing her hair in beautiful styles and is always in fashions. A diamond tiara is perfect for any formal get-together. Help turn your loved one into a real princess!
- Diamond Bath Décor: Add sparkle to the bathroom of your April-born loved one by giving a bathroom set created with diamonds. There’s a variety of items to choose from, like toothbrush holders, soap dishes and even shower curtains. Black diamond nugget beads are great for bedazzling bathroom accessories. Get as creative as you want when designing these unique pieces for someone special.
SHOP FOR DIAMONDS
May: Emerald Birhtstone
Emeralds are maybe the rarest of all gemstones because they can only be mined in South America. The vivid green color symbolizes springtime and promotes insight, fidelity and rebirth.
- Drop Dangle Earrings: The vivid green color of the emerald makes for a beautiful drop earring set in silver.
- An Emerald Silk Sash: Give the woman in your life an emerald-colored silk sash she can wear as a hair wrap or clothing accessory anytime and feel elegant.
SHOP FOR EMERALDS
June: Pearl and Alexandrite Birthstones
Pearls are naturally beautiful. They are a gift from the ocean and symbolize purity. They can add a touch of sophistication to T-shirts, blouses, cover-ups, pillows, bags and so much more.
- Beaded Pearl Evening Purse: Purses made with pearl accents are perfect for the June birthstone.
- Pearl Cufflinks: Don’t forget about the June man in your life. Cufflinks for a suit or tuxedo accented with pearls will allow for him to show off his June birthday at weddings, graduations and other formal occasions.
July: Ruby Birthstone
Rubies are a fiery red color and are highly sought after. They represent love, passion and fortune.
- Photo Frame with Ruby Accents: Now, this is a gift to love! It’s great for everyone because it’s always the right size, so include a favorite photograph.
- A Vintage Ruby Brooch: Brooches are in vogue, and nothing screams glamor and sophistication more than a vintage pin made with rubies. Design a dragonfly or ladybug brooch for a younger girl. She’ll love the sparkly bug motif.
SHOP FOR RUBIES
August: Peridot Birthstone
Peridot is a lovely lime color and symbolizes calmness and love. It also represents a born leader.
- Peridot Bonsai Tree: Chinese traditions of Feng Shui offer wishes of good fortune, especially in finances. This on-trend gift can easily be handmade and will be cherished by the recipient. Include a book on Feng Shui for novices of this practice.
SHOP FOR PERIDOT
September: Sapphire Birthstone
Sapphire is traditionally a deep blue color and symbolizes love, loyalty and trust.
- Sapphire and Silver Leaf Necklace: Something like a sapphire and silver leaf necklace is simple to make and puts the recipient’s birthday stone front and center.
SHOP FOR SAPPHIRES
October: Opal Birthstone
Opal is very beautiful and symbolizes happiness and confidence.
- Opal Phone Case: This one might be more for the October teenager, but anyone who loves some shine in their life will appreciate this accessory. Decorate a phone case in opal beads for a unique and bedazzling birthday gift. Or find a unique printed Opal phone case like this one.
SHOP FOR OPALS
November: Topaz and Citrine Birthstones
A brownish-gold color, topaz symbolizes healing, health and a lasting friendship.
- Topaz Colored Boots: Perfect for the wintertime, gift your November baby a pair of Topaz colored snow boots and a pair of winter socks to match.
- Topaz Snowflake Ornament: This gorgeous snowflake ornament can be made with any beads, but topaz will reflect the fairy lights on the recipient’s Christmas tree beautifully.
- Citrine Ring: Citrine is such a beautiful gemstone and it is available for a reasonable price. A Citrine ring like the one pictured below would make a great gift.
December: Turquoise and Tanzanite Birthstones
Turquoise is bluish green in color and is thought to keep evil at bay. The Native Americans consider turquoise to have great healing powers, and the stone is often associated with their culture.
- Beaded Fringe Earrings: Turquoise has a bohemian appeal, and these fabulous and simple DIY beaded fringe earrings are sure to be worn every day by the stylish birthday girl.
- Turquoise Hand-made Envelope Pillow: This easy to construct pillow will be treasured by anyone born in December and will have a prime spot in their favorite chair.
SHOP FOR TANZANITE